The Port Susan Middle School Counseling Program is an integral part of the total school environment. The counseling program encourages student growth in the areas of academics, social/emotional, personal, and career (goal setting).
Your school counselor: Keli Niegemann
Counselor’s Corner, May 2018
Traits of a Healthy Family
At times, we focus on what goes on in families that aren’t functioning very well. However, researchers agree that for most people, learning what works is more helpful than dwelling on what doesn’t work. Here are some consistent traits that families with healthy relationships have in common.
- Communicate, listen, and value time to talk together.
- Affirm and support one another.
- Develop trust among family members and mend differences.
- Have a sense of play and humor.
- Exhibit a sense of shared responsibility.
- View problems as a normal part of life and seek solutions.
- Share leisure time together.
- Teach a sense of right and wrong.
- Value and practice service to others.
- Respect the privacy of one another’s confidences.
- Mutually negotiate rules and compromises.
(source: Helping Hand)
You may contact PSMS’s Counselor, Keli Niegemann